- “Aging members of the Black Panthers gathered for an unprecedented reunion this weekend in Oakland, California, the city that marked its painful birth as an urban radical movement exactly 40 years ago…”
- “The writer is assuming that because universities are more culturally diverse than they were 40 years ago means that institutionalized racism and oppression have simply disappeared…”
- “these students’ behavior had an implicit institutional license. Of 1300 students at UT Law School, only about 70 are black. How can white students be bound to respect a racial group whom they hardly have to interact with?”
- “Dying While Black addresses inequalities in health and health care for minorities, particularly African Americans…African Americans still suffer from the generational effect of a slave health deficit. African Americans lag behind on nearly every heal
- Ugh. Here we go again. “the photos — in which partygoers carried 40-ounce bottles of malt liquor and wore Afro wigs, necklaces with large medallions and name tags bearing traditionally black and Hispanic names — upset some black law students…”
- “biologist Bert Ely of the University of South Carolina and colleagues found that fewer than 10 percent of African-American mitochondrial DNA sequences that were analyzed can be matched to any single African ethnic group…”
- Thanks Jennifer! “Human rights groups in Malawi will seek a court injunction on Monday to stop pop star Madonna from proceeding with the adoption of a one-year-old boy in the impoverished African nation…”
- Thanks Luke! “Lyons said that Piniella was “hablaing Espanol” — butchering the conjugation for the word “to speak” — and added, “I still can’t find my wallet.”…Lyons claimed he was kidding…”my comment about Lou taking my wallet was a joke and in no
- Thanks Tariq! Part of The Washington Post’s continuing series on Being a Black Man. Black women speak about the importance of marriage, marrying a black man, interracial dating, and marriage expectations.
- Thanks Mark and Phil C! “The Nazis may have taken it to murderous extremes, but eugenics existed long before Hitler’s 1933 rise to power. A new exhibition in Dresden…looks at the pseudo-scientific foundations of racism.”
- Thanks Tariq! “there has been a remarkable convergence in television viewing habits…Now, there is almost a perfect match between what blacks and whites are watching and while many of these shows have black characters, none feature a predominately black
- “The WWE has…a new Asian wrestler character..he is wearing a confederate flag-emblazoned leather vest and is standing beside a pick up truck. “I’m a redneck,” Yun announces. “Ain’t no yeller about me.”
- “I was hoping to create a character who you really saw as three-dimensional. Usually, the fat kid is the sidekick, or the comic relief…I wanted shift the focus to him and say ‘this kid is a full person and he has the same kind of sexual desires that R
- “for Angelina Jolie to don brownface in order to play a person of colour is to fit into a history of racial makeup used by White actors to not only caricature the real-life “inspirations” but to deny actors of colour jobs in Hollywood…”
- “I argue that a lot of the subtle racism is coming not just from the tribemates, but also from the editors who are, consciously and unconsciously, inserting more racial stereotypes into the story than that really need to be there…”
- Thanks Ji in! “They end up treating the whole of Africa as a helpless baby to be adopted by Western parents. Madonna’s child charity is called “Raising Malawi”, as if the country were a toddler to carry on her back…”
by Carmen Van Kerckhove
That title sounds like a Gershwin song, huh?
Okay, I’ve lived in New York City for over 11 years now and am just as jaded and indifferent to celebrity spotting as the next person.
I walked past Oprah on the street just last week. I once had separate sightings of Dave Chappelle (pre-Chappelle Show days), Q-Tip, and Posdnuos from De La Soul on the same block within 10 minutes of each other. For some odd reason I’ve run into Tom Arnold, Carrie Fisher and Malcolm Gladwell multiple times each.
So why can’t sh*% like this happen to me for a change??? From Gawker Stalker:
Saw Keanu Reeves at The Pinnacle Deli, alone and incognito, then chatting up (in a very friendly manner) a gorgeous titian-haired petite thing who was celebrating her 20th birthday with friends – she approached him shyly and he came to their table and sang Happy Birthday to her and gave her a kiss, then sat down with them. He looks very young and stunning, if somewhat rugged, in person.
He sang to her? Ugh!!!!!
(And by the way yes, Keanu posts now have their own official logo. Props to Corbin for coming up with the tagline!)
by Carmen Van Kerckhove
Okay, I’m going to blatantly recycle Angry Asian Man’s material here. Since he says it best, I’ll leave you with his words:
I saw this commercial months ago, but kept forgetting to write about it… Basically, it’s David Carradine continuing to cash in on public perception that he is some kind of wise Asian man: Yellowbook.com commercial. Quit faking! You’re not Asian!
LOL! Indeed… Good to see in the comments though, that people are calling Carradine out on it.
by Carmen Van Kerckhove
I stumbled across this gem on YouTube the other day. It’s an old episode of the Maury show where they do a paternity test to prove what everyone in the audience already thinks: there’s no way this white man can be the father of this mixed-looking child. It’s depressing that to much of America, depictions like these form their impressions of interracial relationships.
I feel so bad for the poor kid. He’s basically on the show to serve as the punchline to everybody’s joke.
But this clip also says a lot about how interracial relationships and interracial sex are framed. The focus is on the humiliation of the cuckolded white man, whose wife can’t resist the sexual power of the black man. Not coincidentally, that’s pretty much of the plot of every interracial pornographic film too.
- The gory details of Dave Mays and Raymond “Benzino” Scott’s Source Magazine are coming out as former EIC Kim Osorio’s sexual harrassment trial against them gets underway. Apparently, Benzino bragged of sexcapades With Lil Kim, Foxy Brown & Trina. Oh I’m s
- “Coca-Cola, recognizing the tremendous growth of the Latino immigrant population in Spain — specifically Ecuadorians — has decided to tap into a market that is being ignored by other beverage companies..looking to appeal to the tastes of the Ecuadorian
- Thanks Phil C! Survivor is under fire not only for its lame race-baiting tactics, but also for shady casting tactics. Contestant Sekou never sent in an audition tape – producers pursued him. And other contestants are seasoned actors, with credits on Sex a
- “Because if this really is all about the kids, then why not support/sponsor the father and the grandmother in keeping their child? Take that worldly concern and kindne$$…and help preserve families and empower local communities — instead of taking away
- “The National Fair Housing Alliance charged…that agents…of the city’s largest residential real estate brokerage, the Corcoran Group, had engaged in discriminatory sales practices, including racial steering and withholding information from African-Am
- “Instead of advocating the development of infra-structures for increased self-governance and self-reliance, these acts reinforce the dominant notion that Africa needs to be saved by White heroes…”