By Arturo R. García
The Mixed Roots Film & Literary Festival contacted us with the heads-up: the submission period has opened for this year’s event, scheduled to run June 16-17 at the Japanese American National Museum in Los Angeles.
There is no submission fee for entries sent before Feb. 15, but entries submitted between Feb. 16 and March 15 must be accompanied by a $50 fee. We’ve got information on each category, and links to the required submissions forms, under the cut.
- Subject matter may include but is not limited to: interracial/cultural relationships, transracial/cultural adoption and the exploration of multiracial/cultural identity.
- Please note that there may be a Q&A session at each screening of the Festival on June 16 or 17, though participation is not mandatory.
- Participants are responsible for their own transportation and lodging. The festival is unable to provide an honorarium. (This applies to all categories.)
- Open to comics, actors, musicians, and spoken word artists with self-contained, portable acts suitable to a black box theatre.
- Submissions must be complete and run under five minutes. (Performers must be off-book.)
- Performers must be available for both a mandatory rehearsal on June 15 and a performance during the festival.
- No props or furniture will be provided.
- Besides filling out the submissions form above, applicants must send a 10-15 page writing sample and a high res jpeg photo of themselves as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Literary” and the applicant’s name in the subject line.
- Participants must be available to read from their works during the festival.
These submissions may address only one of the following:
- Creation of literary content
- Creation of film content
- Providing a historical context for inclusion in film/literary content.
- All presenters’ attendance must be confirmed by applicants at the time of submission.
- Presenters are expected to arrive at the Festival site no later than 45 minutes prior to the scheduled workshop time.