- "Azucena spent the next 76 days in a federal immigration center, Broward Transitional Center, becoming one of a fast-growing number of undocumented immigrants caught in what may be the latest crackdown: Grabbing them from public transportation, mainly Greyhound and Amtrak.
"Immigration searches on public transportation sites are not well publicized. Border patrol agents generally protect the border or coastline. But, Steve Cribby, spokesperson for U. S. Customs and Border Protection, says agents have the authority to conduct immigration checks in public places. And checks on Greyhound buses and Amtrak are meant to disrupt human smuggling activities into the country’s interior, he said.
- "Stories like Barbara's are increasingly common as Brazil's economy grows, the number of people living in poverty declines and education levels gradually rise."
- "The rights of endangered indigenous peoples include respect for their secular and religious worldviews and providing them protection from groups who think that their way of life represents a 'whole new level of darkness.' Evangelizers who go to an endangered culture with such chauvinistic and patronizingly condescending ethno-racist pre-conception as that 'these are peoples that have been in the (spiritual)darkness of the evil one for their entire existence,' and that they need the Christian evangelist to bring out of a 'whole new level of darkness' (being people who, otherwise, 'don't have hope of salvation,') cannot be trusted to protect the rights of indigenous peoples."
- "Here's what happened:
"In a July 27th post on the official Whole Foods blog, a writer for the blog My Halal Kitchen talked up the store's selection of products from Saffron Road, a company that makes Halal frozen food products, and encouraged readers to check them out when preparing for Ramadan. There was no plan to market the partnership between Saffron Road and Whole Foods in stores, according to Fast Company reporter Neal Ungerleider, who initially wrote about the promotion.
"But never ones to overlook Sharia creep into the food supply, a few right-wing bloggers picked up the story and blasted Whole Foods for promoting Islam.
- "New products for non-white audiences seek to be more inclusive than the Fashion Fairs of the past — and likely have a much brighter future as a result. This logic makes the Carol’s Daughter strategy seem intelligent rather than abandoning. Plus, black women do have more options to enjoy in this new era of beauty integration. Yet there is still more work to be done to ensure that our full spectrum of beauty is being served."
- "Minorities with the city Fire Department are routinely subjected to racial harassment, a black captain testified yesterday in Brooklyn federal court.
"Paul Washington, a 23-year FDNY veteran, recalled that soon after 9/11, a flier announcing a memorial service for black firefighters killed at the World Trade Center was put on the Ladder 131 bulletin board in Brooklyn.
"It was soon defaced with references to the Jackson 5, Tupac Shakur, Busta Rhymes, Gary Coleman, and Diddy, he told federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis.