- "[T]he event was clearly designed to highlight differences with the 'official' LGBT groups backed by the first daughter, who has argued that Gay Pride parades are 'protests' not needed in Cuba because the country’s laws protect gay rights.
"The stroll also highlighted the growing activism of varied independent groups — gays, blacks and farmers, among others — seeking a stronger voice in the nation’s affairs as the communist government tries to overhaul a stumbling economy."
- "[T]he anti-Muslim Freedom Party is concerned that by treating the grandchildren of immigrants as Dutch, 80 per cent of whom are under 10 years old, it will stop being possible to measure their integration.
"Joram van Klaveren, a Freedom Party MP, has called for the change because, he claimed, unless third generation migrants are included in statistics as 'allochtonen' then proof of immigration related crime would disappear."
- "Despite the growing trend of Chinese workers marrying local African women, predictably, many in their home country have a lot to say about it. On the Chinese culture blog, ChinaSmack (which takes postings from other sources and translates them to English), one poster suggest 'large-scale' marrying of African women could be the key to Chinese men finding love, but of course, only if they marry 'high end Black girls' without 'greasy skin.'"
- "Ethnic Chinese residents of the French capital say they are being systematically attacked and robbed – and they are campaigning for more police protection.
"[Belleville is] an area which, until recently, was held up as a model of multi-cultural harmony."
- "ICE has stated that the new centers will be an improvement for detained immigrants. By increasing the number of centers in these locations, the agency argues, detainees’ families will be able to visit them more easily.
"A recent Human Rights Watch report, however, finds that immigrant detainees are regularly transfered from one detention center to another, making it harder for detainees to find legal representation and defend themselves against detention and deportation."
- "'Of course, Texas wouldn't be the first state to display the Confederate flag on a license plate. Nine others already do so. Georgia and Mississippi both have the Stars and Bars on their state flags.'
"So where’s that last vote? The Atlantic Wire explains the holdup."
“'At this point, the vote has been put off momentarily, because the ninth member of the DMV board passed away. It's up to Governor Rick Perry to appoint his replacement.'"
- "The report follows up on the 2005 Department of Justice report that showed the overall violent crime rate among American Indians and Alaska Natives was 100 per 1,000 persons, meaning that one out of 10 American Indians has been a victim of violence.
The study also found that “American Indians are more likely than people of other races to experience violence at the hands of someone of a different race,” with 70 percent of reported violent attacks committed by non-Indians."
- "But not North Carolina, which continued the practice for years, with a vestigial race law designed and purportedly deployed to eliminate poverty. Thousands more were sterilised, mainly poor blacks. Now, the state, under the weight of a multibillion-dollar deficit and a rising black political power base, is struggling to augment an official apology for its racist ways with financial compensation.
"Some have suggested $20,000 per survivor. Others suggest $50,000. An estimated 2,900 medically ravaged victims may be qualified. But can you write a wrong by merely writing a cheque?"