By Arturo R. García
So Latoya, Andrea and I did a groupchat last night in order to dicuss this movie, especially one plot beat that raised some eyebrows online.
Then the chat transcript got lost. But we’re working on reassembling our group review for later in the week. In the meantime, if you’ve seen the movies, feel free to weigh in.
Be aware: I’ll post some of the topics we covered under the cut, but after that, it’s heavy spoiler territory.
Okay, so if you’ve seen the movies, you probably twigged to all of the following:
- The death of Darwin. Seriously, WTF?
- The over-accelerated character arcs for everybody (this was my pet peeve; First Class should’ve been a two-film story.)
- The rampant genderfail when it came to the depictions of Emma Frost, Angel Salvatore, Mystique and Moira McTaggert.
- The use of marginalization language in the film – and, really, of the X-Men franchise as a whole.
- The character choices: notice how the characters of color – Riptide (the wind guy) was played by a Latino, while Angel was played by Zoe Kravitz, Lenny’s daughter – sided either with Sebastian Shaw, then with Magneto?
Your thoughts, readers?