By Arturo R. García
As of early Monday morning, there’s still no telling how bad the situation could get in Japan following Friday morning’s 9.0 earthquake and ensuing tsunami: Kyodo News reported another 2,000 bodies had been found in the coastal areas of the Miyagi Prefecture, nearly doubling the current casualty totals. For now, I wanted to create a space where we could trade information about relief efforts or fundraisers in our respective areas.
- Texting REDCROSS to 90999 will provide a $10 donation
- Causes.com campaign page
- Medical supply or United Airlines flyer miles donations also accepted
- Texting JAPAN to 50555 will provide a $10 donation
- Texting JAPAN to 20222 will provide a $10 donation
- According to Mashable, STC is also teaming up with Zynga to enable users of its’ online games – CityVille, FarmVille, etc. – to donate toward relief efforts by buying specific goods during gameplay.
- Texting JAPAN or QUAKE to 80888 will provide a $10 donation
- Texting MED to 80888 will provide a $10 donation
- Texting 4JAPAN to 20222 will provide a $10 donation
- Texting TSUNAMI to 50555 will provide a $10 donation
- As of this morning, 150 works will be put up for auction between today and March 20, with proceeds going to the British Red Cross Japan Tsunami Appeal
- Note: bids must be submitted in Pounds (U.K.)
- A special Japan Housing Crisis group has been created for people both seeking and offering temporary housing during the crisis. You must be a member of CouchSurfing.org to post.
- Per 7×7: Rapper Lyrics Born will be doing a free show at SOM nightclub, with cash, clothing and canned food donations being accepted at the door.
- Fashion blogger La Carmina has posted a list of fundraisers around the L.A. area.
- Video game maker Capcom is donating profits from iPhone sales for Street Fighter IV thru March 22. During that time, the game will be available for 99 cents.
- The Japanese Red Cross Society is taking donations via bank transfer.
- The South By Southwest festival is holding its’ own fundraiser, with a goal of $80,000 in donations.
- A benefit concert for Japan will be held April 9 in New York City
- The Geek Girls Network is partnering with Mercy Corps for its’ fundraising efforts
Again, we encourage anyone to post event or charity information on this thread for everyone to have on hand, and our hearts go out to everyone affected by this catastrophe.
Sources: Yahoo, Mashable, The Huffington Post, Wired, Holiday Matinee
Top image courtesy of Associated Press and Naples News
About This BlogRacialicious is a blog about the intersection of race and pop culture. Check out our daily updates on the latest celebrity gaffes, our no-holds-barred critique of questionable media representations, and of course, the inevitable
Keanu ReevesJohn Cho newsflashes.
Latoya Peterson (DC) is the Owner and Editor (not the Founder!) of Racialicious, Arturo García (San Diego) is the Managing Editor, Andrea Plaid (NYC) is the Associate Editor. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The founders of Racialicious are Carmen Sognonvi and Jen Chau. They are no longer with the blog. Carmen now runs Urban Martial Arts with her husband and blogs about local business. Jen can still be found at Swirl or on her personal blog. Please do not send them emails here, they are no longer affiliated with this blog.
Comments on this blog are moderated. Please read our comment moderation policy.
Use the "for:racialicious" tag in del.icio.us to send us tips. See here for detailed instructions.
Interested in writing for us? Check out our submissions guidelines.
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Jenna England on Open Thread: Kanye West and Yeezus
- ISpeakMyTruth on Tyler Perry Hates Black Women: 5 Thoughts on The Haves and Have Nots
- ISpeakMyTruth on On That Serena Williams/Steubenville Comment
- SuperBrother on Tyler Perry Hates Black Women: 5 Thoughts on The Haves and Have Nots
- Cece Duvall on Tyler Perry Hates Black Women: 5 Thoughts on The Haves and Have Nots
- The Evolution Of Hula: Traditional, Contemporary, And Hotel
- Table For Two: Man Of Steel
- On That Serena Williams/Steubenville Comment
- Barack Obama as our first Asian American President?: Part I
- It’s Time to Recognize All Dads on Father’s Day
- Casting Call: Lucy, the Mutant Human/Angel Hybrid Who Speaks with an Asian Accent (But is not Asian)
- Quoted: The problem with “Devious Maids” goes far beyond Hollywood
- Open Thread: Kanye West and Yeezus
TagsABC activism advertising african-american asian asian-american barack obama black blackface celebrities comedy culture diversity fashion feminism film gender glbt HBO hip hop hispanic history hollywood identity international interracial relationships latino media mixed race movies music muslim politics race racial stereotypes racism religion sex sexism sexual stereotypes stereotypes tv Uncategorized white youtube