By Arturo R. García
As of early Monday morning, there’s still no telling how bad the situation could get in Japan following Friday morning’s 9.0 earthquake and ensuing tsunami: Kyodo News reported another 2,000 bodies had been found in the coastal areas of the Miyagi Prefecture, nearly doubling the current casualty totals. For now, I wanted to create a space where we could trade information about relief efforts or fundraisers in our respective areas.
- Texting REDCROSS to 90999 will provide a $10 donation
- Causes.com campaign page
- Medical supply or United Airlines flyer miles donations also accepted
- Texting JAPAN to 50555 will provide a $10 donation
- Texting JAPAN to 20222 will provide a $10 donation
- According to Mashable, STC is also teaming up with Zynga to enable users of its’ online games – CityVille, FarmVille, etc. – to donate toward relief efforts by buying specific goods during gameplay.
- Texting JAPAN or QUAKE to 80888 will provide a $10 donation
- Texting MED to 80888 will provide a $10 donation
- Texting 4JAPAN to 20222 will provide a $10 donation
- Texting TSUNAMI to 50555 will provide a $10 donation
- As of this morning, 150 works will be put up for auction between today and March 20, with proceeds going to the British Red Cross Japan Tsunami Appeal
- Note: bids must be submitted in Pounds (U.K.)
- A special Japan Housing Crisis group has been created for people both seeking and offering temporary housing during the crisis. You must be a member of CouchSurfing.org to post.
- Per 7×7: Rapper Lyrics Born will be doing a free show at SOM nightclub, with cash, clothing and canned food donations being accepted at the door.
- Fashion blogger La Carmina has posted a list of fundraisers around the L.A. area.
- Video game maker Capcom is donating profits from iPhone sales for Street Fighter IV thru March 22. During that time, the game will be available for 99 cents.
- The Japanese Red Cross Society is taking donations via bank transfer.
- The South By Southwest festival is holding its’ own fundraiser, with a goal of $80,000 in donations.
- A benefit concert for Japan will be held April 9 in New York City
- The Geek Girls Network is partnering with Mercy Corps for its’ fundraising efforts
Again, we encourage anyone to post event or charity information on this thread for everyone to have on hand, and our hearts go out to everyone affected by this catastrophe.
Sources: Yahoo, Mashable, The Huffington Post, Wired, Holiday Matinee
Top image courtesy of Associated Press and Naples News