- "It is too simple to look at the protests at the Universidad de Puerto Rico (UPR) and say the student/youth led movement on the island is just about $800. As the American Civil Liberties Union reports, Since the pro-statehood Governor of Puerto Rico Luis Fortuño came into power two years ago, free speech has been under all out assault.
"The report, which calls the situation on the U.S. a colony, a 'human rights crisis' makes special note of how women have been especially targeted by police for physical and sexual assault."
- Great analysis by Racialicious Hall of Famer Nadra Kareem Nittle.–AJP "Now that word’s spread about the assault she endured, Logan is being re-victimized by those who say that an attractive white woman with blonde hair should’ve known better than to make her way through a mob of brown, Muslim men. Why didn’t Logan realize that all Arab men are misogynistic beasts who haven’t the slightest respect for their own women, let alone Western women—all of whom they regard as whores? Yeah, that about sums up the message on sites from the Los Angeles Times to the New York Times to Salon."
- "In the complaint, Ms. Cooper argues that one of the book’s principal characters, Aibileen Clark, is an unauthorized appropriation of her name and image, which she finds emotionally distressing.
"It is more complicated than that. For the past dozen years, Ms. Cooper has worked – and still works – for Ms. Stockett’s brother and sister-in-law."
- "'Our whole immigration system, 80% of the cases are based on family unification, it's about keeping the family together,' Soloway said. 'But this just doesn't register with the LGBT community. It's a reflection of anti-gay discrimination.""
- "Their research shows that banks are pulling good credit services out of black and Latino communities, replacing them with more and more of those payday shops that’ll lend you a little money against your coming check, and then charge interest up to 911 percent for a one week loan. Yes, I wrote that, 911 percent. Gives 911 a whole new meaning."
- "If a balance in Hollywood existed, I would be very indifferent to the cross-dressing men portraying Black women on the big screen. But the reality is – Black actresses need to play roles of Black women. Period."
- "On one level, you might say this altering of appearance is just women enjoying themselves — selecting different colours, shapes and styles to become what they want. But there is more too it than that; precisely because they never make themselves look darker."
- "For the first time, the GCA Committee announces the creation of the Chairman’s Award, a new award given in special recognition of a work in any media outside of comics, including but not limited to books, television, film, or the Internet, that illuminates the black comics experience in an exceptional manner, and also broadens and deepens the growing body of knowledge about black comics worldwide.
"This year, the GCA Committee bestows the award to the book Black Comix: African American Independent Comics Art and Culture, by Damian Duffy & John Jennings, a reference book spotlighting over fifty different independent black comics creators from the past quarter century. The release of this book was accompanied by a gallery exhibition in New York containing artwork from some of the book’s featured artists.”