- "What do gang members look like? A bestselling rapper and music mogul with 10 Grammys under his belt and millions of dollars in his pocket according to the front page of the Miami Police Department's website.
"The Miami New Times found two graphics of Jay-Z that the Miami Police Department seems to have used for a banner on its website…"
- "Two weeks ago, Transgender Europe held the third European Transgender Council in Malmo, Sweden. The Council hosted over 200 delegates from thirty-five countries, and it offered a number of worthwhile speakers, workshops, and other activities. But cissexism cast a shadow over this event when random transphobes attacked two Turkish delegates; police degendered and harrassed the targets rather than protecting them.
"The attack was apparently motivated not only by cissexism but also by racism. Turkophobia runs high in Europe and has for hundreds of years."
- "This is what Republican politics surrounding Arizona's tough new immigration law look like on the ground: an image of an adorable toe-headed [sic-LDP] baby placed next to the claim that Democrats who opposed the state's controversial immigration law "invite drugs and violence into our neighborhoods, schools and communities."
In case the reader doesn't get the less-than-subtle hint that the Democrat in question — in the case of a GOP mailer obtained by TPM, two-term state Rep. Rae Waters — is somehow inviting hordes of blood-thirsty illegal immigrants into Arizona's peaceful suburbs, the Republican Party also offers up a photo of a shot-up stop sign next to this message: "By voting against 1070, Rae Waters would rather leave our border full of holes. Our neighborhoods are next."
- "Jacinta Lal, 21, was today at the centre of a huge row after she was accused of not looking Indian enough.
"The blue-eyed blonde, whose father is Fijian-Indian and mother a New Zealander, was booed by spectators when she won the Wellington leg of the MissIndiaNZ contest."
- "The entire German war effort in the East was a racial crusade to rid the world of ’subhumans,’ Slavs were going to be enslaved in numbers of tens of millions. And of course the multimillion Jewish population of Eastern Europe was going to be exterminated altogether. That’s what all these folks were doing in the East. It sends a shiver up my spine to think that people want to dress up and play SS on the weekend."
- "This year, Mr. Christie, the blunt-spoken suburban white Republican, and Mr. Booker, the Scripture-quoting urban black Democrat long rumored to want the governor’s job, have become the state’s political odd couple. They talk to or text each other perhaps a dozen times a week, and they go out of their way to praise each other publicly. The two men went to a Giants game together a few weeks ago and have bonded over their mutual devotion to New Jersey’s bard (the governor has been to more than 100 Bruce Springsteen concerts, and the mayor often uses the Boss’s lyrics in Twitter messages).
“I’ve told him when Bruce comes back, I’m taking him,” Mr. Christie said Thursday."
- In DC, October 27th. – LDP
"This program will screen the documentary film, The Great Pinoy Boxing Era (Corky Pasquil and Agrafino Edralin) and host a panel discussion and demonstration on Filipino martial arts. The Great Pinoy Boxing Era is an insightful portrayal of the Filipino men who came to the U.S. not only as farm laborers and as prize-winning boxers during the 1920s and 1930s. The film will be followed by a presentation from Professor Linda España-Maram along with presentations and demonstrations by internationally renowned martial artists Dan Inosanto and Rosie Abriam. Gem Daus of the University of Maryland-College Park will serve as moderator."
- "But the racial fault line in American radio runs deep.
“You’d think if you’re putting me in with Maxwell and Musiq Soulchild, you could get me on R&B radio, but my songs weren’t R&B enough,” [Res] says. Meanwhile, it wasn’t peddled to pop and rock stations.
“They have statistics like, how do females do in rock radio? A song won’t get added to rock radio if you’re a female because they say it doesn’t work, that people don’t like women rock songs. People break it down to numbers. It’s a business. How many black female artists who don’t do R&B win? You can count them on your hand. Therefore how many labels are going to pay for you to go there?”
Res’ former collaborator Santigold hit a similar wall performing her own material. “It’s totally racist,” Santi notoriously told Lipster in 2008 about press calling her work R&B. “Everyone is just so shocked that I don’t like R&B. Why does R&B keep coming into my interviews? It’s pissing me off.”