- "Anti-Asian racism manifests itself in varying ways. Asian men routinely confront the common 'No Asians' disclaimers found on many profiles on gay dating and hookup sites. More publicly, some bars in large metropolitan centers resist the label of being seen as a gay Asian hotspot by limiting Asians or at least not making them feel as comfortable as their Anglo counterparts. It’s not uncommon on list serves that serve party boys to read disparaging about how a Circuit party or a particular bar has 'too many Asians' or 'has been invaded by Asians' or 'there were pockets of Asians everywhere.'"
- "Morrissey, a vegetarian and animal rights advocate who last year abandoned the stage at the Coachella festival in California because of the smell of cooking meat, described the treatment of animals in China as 'absolutely horrific', referring to recent news stories about animals in Chinese circuses and zoos. He told interviewer Simon Armitage: 'Did you see the thing on the news about their treatment of animals and animal welfare? Absolutely horrific. You can't help but feel that the Chinese are a subspecies.'
"A spokesman for Love Music Hate Racism, which received a donation of £28,000 from the singer in 2008 after his apparently anti-immigration comments made in music magazine NME convulsed the media, said it would be unable to accept support from Morrissey again if he did not rescind or dispute today's comments."
- "The treatment of the Roma, also known as Gypsies, became a major issue this summer in France, where the government of President Nicolas Sarkozy has expelled hundreds of people. But the conflict has prompted a similar, if more subdued, debate in Italy. Some critics even say Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi’s government has led the way on this issue in the European Union."
- "Up to and including this year, there have been only 53 non-white actors nominated for emmys out of nearly 1,000 possible nominations in the top four acting categories for drama and comedy.
"I’ve worked in television nearly all of my professional life, and that statistic is quite sobering to me. And to add injury to my already sensitive nerve endings a picture of Rutina Wesley from True Blood, who attended this year’s Emmys, had a caption that read: 'Regina King enters the 62nd Emmys.' No, I wasn’t there. Mistakes happen, right? Well after a few 'mistakes' of how people of color are portrayed in the Hollywood media, I decided it was important to say something about how things go down in Hollywood."
- "Where was the feminist response to this incident? I don’t doubt for a minute that Black feminists talked about it amongst ourselves. Fact is, we all know only too well there is always a high price to pay for offending white sensibilities. There’s never been a safe public place for our rage. These days, some of us take less risk since the backlash blows can be particularly brutal. This means more conversations with friends–reminders that we are not crazy. But we keep coming back to one question: Where is bell hooks? We miss her."
- "Slated to attend are dancers from major New York companies — Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Paul Taylor Dance Company and New York City Ballet – plus Broadway’s 'Billy Elliot The Musical.' Hailing from the D.C. area is the Washington Ballet, and representing the West Coast is the hip-hop group Super Cr3w. Prior to the East Room ceremony, members of these companies will host workshops for students from dance programs around the country."