- “Unfortunately, if you follow the right wing rhetoric to its logical conclusion, eventually some one’s gonna get hurt and it’s not going to be one of the media moguls in an office building in downtown Manhattan nor one of the local haters-for-hire hidden away in a DJ booth in some undisclosed location, it’s going to be one of your friends or neighbors. After the racial Apocalypse, the head honchos at corporate will just put the racial rebel rousers in their Clear Channel Radio Host Protection Program, change their identities and ship them off to some unsuspecting town in Idaho where they will start the same mayhem over again, while leaving their former city of employment in shambles.”
- “Hollywood is institutionally racist, according to Dev Patel, the Slumdog Millionaire star, who claims Asian actors are limited to roles as terrorists, taxi drivers or geeks.
“…the 20 year-old from Harrow, north-west London, has been frustrated by the lack of decent roles on offer and is currently jobless.
“‘Because Slumdog was such a big hit, there was a lot of pressure in terms of what I did next,’ he said. ‘For my second film, I wanted a role that would stretch me, but all I was getting offered were stereotypical parts like the goofy Indian sidekick.’”
- “While the South Korean Foreign Ministry said Tuesday that it accepted Mr. Kan’s apology, anger at Japan still runs deep across the region.“The abuses of Japan’s colonial rule of the Korean Peninsula pale in comparison to its documented atrocities during World War II — including mass killings of civilians and human experimentation. Grappling with that legacy continues to split the country, even as many Asians and Westerners urge Tokyo to come to terms with the past.”
- “Why focus on these poverty contests, with Africa at level zero? These statistics only measure those who, already in positions of control over powerful economic interests, are getting richer as they exploit more underpaid, vulnerable workers, and the land those workers may have been displaced or evicted from. These statistics don’t measure women’s reproductive work, don’t measure broader levels of quality of life that get inflated by those at the very top, even while the masses at the bottom suffer more dispossession and malnutrition year after year.”
- “The west certainly has its share of monster movies, but after the past few years of Twilight-mania, and the hoards of other vampire/werewolf knockoffs that surfaced along with it, we could use a new type of monster to fear (preferably one that doesn’t sparkle) What Lynch and Sherawat are trying to do, introduce a new mythical character to the western consciousness, is no small feat and I commend them for their cross cultural endeavor.”
- Not much to do with race, but interesting. – LDP “Questioning himself blended with questioning the world at large. The man who built his career pushing sugary sodas for Coca-Cola and greasy pizza for Domino’s now recommends documentaries like The Future of Food (about the perils of genetically modified food) and Food, Inc. (corporate perversion of the food system). He has become a vegetarian. Films like The Corporation (big business is psychopathic) and books like The Divine Right of Capital: Dethroning the Corporate Aristocracy (the danger of shareholder-first economies) have shifted his thinking about capitalism and Wall Street. “It’s a false economy that undoes itself over time,” Bogusky tells me over vegetarian curry at a local Tibetan café. “I think we have to undo it.” Ana articulates her husband’s new passions this way: “I think he sees himself as someone who can change other people’s opinions and help the world.”
- “Alex’s workspace is a little corner cubicle — nothing fancy, just a desktop computer, a phone, and an empty cup of iced coffee from the neighborhood deli. Alex is a Filipino from the island of Guam. Both cultures, he tells me, have the perception that gay men are just effeminate men who want to be women. “This all plays into the stereotype that gay people are second class citizens, mentally disturbed individuals, and sinners. Since the ideal of the masculine man is the norm, a man would have to be crazy to want to look like a woman or do womanly things.” Even in the US, “it’s hard to recruit drag queens in the community. There’s a lot of stigma around it. A lot of Asian men already feel hyper emasculated.””