by Guest Contributor Angry Asian Man, originally published at Angry Asian Man
Yesterday, I started getting a flood of messages from enraged golf fans about an idiotic Twitter comment made by Dan Jenkins, writer for Golf Digest, making an unfunny crack about Korean golfer Y.E. Yang: Y.E. Yang Or Last Night’s Chinese Food Delivery Boy? “Venerated” Golf Writer Isn’t Sure.
Yang is the Korean golfer who beat Tiger Woods at the PGA Championship last summer. Unfortunately, to “distinguished” 80-year-old Dan Jenkins — considered one of America’s greatest, most prolific sportswriters — the name Y.E. Yang is just another easy Asian joke.
Cannot… resist… Chinese food delivery… joke. Revered sportswriter or not, next time you want to try your hand at a little Twitter humor — especially, but not limited to, the crappy Asian jokes — please consider shutting the hell up.
This sure as hell wouldn’t fly on a television or radio broadcast. Jenkins is an influential sports journalist — he shouldn’t be allowed to get away with a remark like that. More here: Golf Digest’s Dan Jenkins bogeys attempt at humor with Tweet about Korean golfer Y.E. Yang.
About This BlogRacialicious is a blog about the intersection of race and pop culture. Check out our daily updates on the latest celebrity gaffes, our no-holds-barred critique of questionable media representations, and of course, the inevitable
Keanu ReevesJohn Cho newsflashes.
Latoya Peterson (DC) is the Owner and Editor (not the Founder!) of Racialicious, Arturo García (San Diego) is the Managing Editor, Andrea Plaid (NYC) is the Associate Editor. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The founders of Racialicious are Carmen Sognonvi and Jen Chau. They are no longer with the blog. Carmen now runs Urban Martial Arts with her husband and blogs about local business. Jen can still be found at Swirl or on her personal blog. Please do not send them emails here, they are no longer affiliated with this blog.
Comments on this blog are moderated. Please read our comment moderation policy.
Use the "for:racialicious" tag in del.icio.us to send us tips. See here for detailed instructions.
Interested in writing for us? Check out our submissions guidelines.
Follow Us on Twitter!
- lynn1066 on The Walking Dead Roundtable: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- bridgetarlene on The Walking Dead Roundtable: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- etoiledamore on The Walking Dead Roundtable: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- literatebrit on The Racialicious Links Roundup 12.5.13: Black Twitter, Black Academics, Iran, Chicago and Elan Gale
- Matt Pizzuti on The Walking Dead Roundtable: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- The Walking Dead Roundtable: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- Voices: Nelson Mandela (1918-2013)
- The Racialicious Links Roundup 12.5.13: Black Twitter, Black Academics, Iran, Chicago and Elan Gale
- On Disability and Cartographies of Difference
- A Muslimah’s Guide to Rocking the World
- Quoted: Dr. David Leonard Pens Open Letter to Marissa Alexander
- The Acclaimed Web Series Black Folks Don’t Returns for a Third Season
- Comedian Aamer Rahman Explains “Reverse Racism”
TagsABC activism advertising african-american asian asian-american barack obama black celebrities comedy diversity fashion feminism film gender glbt HBO hip hop hispanic history hollywood identity interracial relationships Kerry Washington latino media mixed race movies music muslim politics race racial stereotypes racism religion Scandal sex sexism sexual stereotypes stereotypes True Blood tv Uncategorized white youtube