by Carmen Van Kerckhove
In this segment on CNN, Tim Wise connects the dots between the anger over healthcare reform and what he calls “white racial resentment.” Some of the points he cites as evidence of the link:
- The applause from white folks at a recent Missouri town hall meeting when a white man ripped up a black woman’s poster of Rosa Parks, and the black woman was then hauled out of the room.
- The right-wing pundits’ increasingly overt attempts to stoke racial resentment among white people, e.g. Glenn Beck’s assertion that Obama’s healthcare reform proposal is a way to get reparations for black people, or Rush Limbaugh’s claim that Obama hates white people.
- The comparisons between Obama and racial fascist Adolf Hitler. The implication seems to be that just as Hitler went after Jews (and other non-Aryans), Obama will persecute whites.
- Research indicating that many white Americans perceive any kind of government spending for have-nots to be taking resources from supposedly hard-working white people and giving them to supposedly lazy black folks.
About This BlogRacialicious is a blog about the intersection of race and pop culture. Check out our daily updates on the latest celebrity gaffes, our no-holds-barred critique of questionable media representations, and of course, the inevitable
Keanu ReevesJohn Cho newsflashes.
Latoya Peterson (DC) is the Owner and Editor (not the Founder!) of Racialicious, Arturo García (San Diego) is the Managing Editor, Andrea Plaid (NYC) is the Associate Editor. You can email us at email@example.com.
The founders of Racialicious are Carmen Sognonvi and Jen Chau. They are no longer with the blog. Carmen now runs Urban Martial Arts with her husband and blogs about local business. Jen can still be found at Swirl or on her personal blog. Please do not send them emails here, they are no longer affiliated with this blog.
Comments on this blog are moderated. Please read our comment moderation policy.
Use the "for:racialicious" tag in del.icio.us to send us tips. See here for detailed instructions.
Interested in writing for us? Check out our submissions guidelines.
Follow Us on Twitter!
- aboynamedart on Undo Process: The Racialicious Review For Doctor Who: The Day Of The Doctor
- croquet on The Walking Dead Recap: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- croquet on Comedian Aamer Rahman Explains “Reverse Racism”
- gogobooty on Open Thread: Scandal S03 E08: ‘Vermont is for Lovers, Too’
- jen* on The Scandal Mid-Season Finale Prediction Thread
- On Disability and Cartographies of Difference
- A Muslimah’s Guide to Rocking the World
- Quoted: Dr. David Leonard Pens Open Letter to Marissa Alexander
- The Acclaimed Web Series Black Folks Don’t Returns for a Third Season
- Comedian Aamer Rahman Explains “Reverse Racism”
- The Walking Dead Recap: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- The Walking Dead Roundtable 4.7 – “Dead Weight”
- The Scandal Mid-Season Finale Prediction Thread
TagsABC activism advertising african-american asian asian-american barack obama black celebrities comedy diversity fashion feminism film gender glbt HBO hip hop hispanic history hollywood identity interracial relationships Kerry Washington latino media mixed race movies music muslim politics race racial stereotypes racism religion Scandal sex sexism sexual stereotypes stereotypes True Blood tv Uncategorized white youtube