By Guest Contributor Angry Asian Man, originally published at Angry Asian Man
MTV just posted the online trailer premiere for Ninja Assassin, starring Korean pop superstar Rain: ‘Ninja Assassin’ Starring Rain – Watch The Trailer Here!. He plays Raizo, a kidnapped child who is raised to be a professional killer but ends up seeking revenge against the clan that made him who he is.
The movie, directed by James McTeigue, is set for release later this year. Yes, it’s ninjas and Japanese gangsters and martial arts and all that crazy Asian stuff. It kind of looks like everything you’d expect a movie titled “Ninja Assassin” to be.
The trailer’s okay. I like ninjas as much as the next guy, and Rain certainly looks the part, and the movie promises to be a crazy all-out action-fest — which is a good thing. But something about it bugged me. Maybe it was all the CGI weapons — ninja stars, blades — flying at the camera. Maybe I’m just bothered by MTV’s crappy video presentation.
The real question is whether or not Rain will prove that he’s Hollywood leading man material. Fortunately for him, he’s chosen a role that probably doesn’t require a lot of dialogue, and a whole lot of asskicking. My feeling though, is that this might pigeonhole him into Hollywood’s silent Asian man action roles. We shall see.
About This BlogRacialicious is a blog about the intersection of race and pop culture. Check out our daily updates on the latest celebrity gaffes, our no-holds-barred critique of questionable media representations, and of course, the inevitable
Keanu ReevesJohn Cho newsflashes.
Latoya Peterson (DC) is the Owner and Editor (not the Founder!) of Racialicious, Arturo García (San Diego) is the Managing Editor, Andrea Plaid (NYC) is the Associate Editor. You can email us at email@example.com.
The founders of Racialicious are Carmen Sognonvi and Jen Chau. They are no longer with the blog. Carmen now runs Urban Martial Arts with her husband and blogs about local business. Jen can still be found at Swirl or on her personal blog. Please do not send them emails here, they are no longer affiliated with this blog.
Comments on this blog are moderated. Please read our comment moderation policy.
Use the "for:racialicious" tag in del.icio.us to send us tips. See here for detailed instructions.
Interested in writing for us? Check out our submissions guidelines.
Follow Us on Twitter!
- ModernWizard on Casting Call: Lucy, the Mutant Human/Angel Hybrid Who Speaks with an Asian Accent (But is not Asian)
- Lisa on Open Thread: Kanye West and Yeezus
- Elizabeth MB Downs on Casting Call: Lucy, the Mutant Human/Angel Hybrid Who Speaks with an Asian Accent (But is not Asian)
- J. Lee on Casting Call: Lucy, the Mutant Human/Angel Hybrid Who Speaks with an Asian Accent (But is not Asian)
- leelah on Open Thread: Kanye West and Yeezus
- Barack Obama as our first Asian American President?: Part I
- It’s Time to Recognize All Dads on Father’s Day
- Casting Call: Lucy, the Mutant Human/Angel Hybrid Who Speaks with an Asian Accent (But is not Asian)
- Quoted: The problem with “Devious Maids” goes far beyond Hollywood
- Open Thread: Kanye West and Yeezus
- True Blood Recap 6.1: “Who Are You, Really?”
- Racialicious Crush Of The Week: Jose Antonio Vargas’ Documented
- Retrolicious–Mad Men 6.11: “Favors”
TagsABC activism advertising african-american asian asian-american barack obama black blackface celebrities comedy culture diversity fashion feminism film gender glbt HBO hip hop hispanic history hollywood identity international interracial relationships latino media mixed race movies music muslim politics race racial stereotypes racism religion sex sexism sexual stereotypes stereotypes tv Uncategorized white youtube