Quoted: Michael Steele – “GOP Needs a Hip-Hop Makeover”

Excerpted by Latoya Peterson

I thought the insanity would end after the election. But oh-no! I was wrong!

”There was underlying concerns we had become too regionalized and the party needed to reach beyond our comfort” zones, he said, citing defeats in such states as Virginia and North Carolina. “We need messengers to really capture that region – young, Hispanic, black, a cross section … We want to convey that the modern-day GOP looks like the conservative party that stands on principles. But we want to apply them to urban-surburban hip-hop settings.”

But, he elaborated with a laugh, “we need to uptick our image with everyone, including one-armed midgets.”

This is a direct quote, people.

“I am not afraid of being held accountable for my leadership,” [Steele] said. “The idea I am somehow going to handicap myself before I begin is nuts. I am not going to buy into this mind-set among a few people who probably have never run anything but their mouths.”

Under Mr. Steele’s helm, the “old” may seem inappropriate in the Grand Old Party’s affectionate nickname. He said he is putting a new public relations team into place to update the party’s image.

“It will be avant garde, technically,” he said. “It will come to table with things that will surprise everyone – off the hook.”

Does that mean cutting-edge?

“I don’t do ‘cutting-edge,’ “ he said. “That’s what Democrats are doing. We’re going beyond cutting-edge.”

Oh shit, I’m going to have to start reading the Washington Times now. This is comedy gold!

Actual comments from the Times site:

#
By: Jay666

I used to like this guy and even voted for him but he is an idiot. The race war doesn’t need anymore help getting started. When the upcoming generation who is getting royally shafted by this bogus “stimulus package” wakes up and realizes that the blacks have sold them into debtor’s prison to elect one of their own. People like Steele, Obama and the rest of the black politcians will be treated as the pariahs they are and their lives won’t be worth a dime. Obama and his tribe of sissies didn’t win the election, the white supremacists did. They predicted this debacle and the uprising that will ensue.
February 19, 2009 at 2:57 p.m. | Mark as Offensive

#
By: Cullen

I wish Mr. Steele the best in his attempt to bring the Conservative philosophy to the masses.

Maybe he should include a call to responsibility specifically to blacks and women: This is your country, too, guys. If you keep voting for the worst possible candidates you will end up with the worst possible place to live.

It’s one thing to bad-mouth Republicans, it’s another thing to go vote for a class of people (Democrats) who are 10 times worse.

If you can’t vote for somebody who is white or male, then you should grow up and get over your own racism/sexism.

If our country continues it’s downward path you will have nobody to blame but yourself…
February 19, 2009 at 12:52 p.m. | Mark as Offensive

#
By: NRAMBR89

Illegal immigrants are the problem. And that doing the jobs Americans don’t want to do is BS!!!!!!! I work Construction and my wages are held down by Illegal Immigrants because they will work for 20 bucks a day.
February 19, 2009 at 12:53 p.m. | Mark as Offensive

#
By: doug12342

Cullen wow are we a little racist maybe its you who has it all wrong ever consider that. I am sure talking down to the as you said “blacks and women” is going to make them vote republican. You neocons make me laugh your i am better than everyone else attitude is a big part of why your party is dieing.
February 19, 2009 at 12:57 p.m. | Mark as Offensive

#
By: Cullen

doug12342, When 97% of a particular race vote against a candidate because he is white it speaks for itself: racism. Do you deny this?

This is not a football game, this is our future.

Look at the following website. Check out the video at the bottom of the page. Note the people going to vote who couldn’t name key facts that everybody should know before walking in the booth.

When certain groups of people are drawn to vote for the worst candidates it says more about those groups of people than it does the candidates.

It’s time for those groups of people to get in the game – it’s your country, too.
February 19, 2009 at 1:04 p.m. | Mark as Offensive

#
By: NRAMBR89

Stupid liberals need to stop analyzing the GOP. The problem with the GOP is it is just like the Democrats. It is not Conservative. Conservatism dose not need to be ‘Hip-hop’ It needs to be conservative. And you ignorant libs need to grow up and stop stereotyping conservatives. You don’t hear me saying all libs are over educated pampered sissies who don’t know what a hammer is do you?
February 19, 2009 at 12:17 p.m. | Mark as Offensive

Hat tip to the Rachel Maddow show. I was half asleep when I heard this. I thought I was dreaming. But no! Dead at Melissa Harris-Lacewell, who was on the show and said the GOP thought voters had “a Pavlovian response” to hip-hop music forcing us to salivate to the ballot box.

And I now dedicate the following to Michael Steele – best of luck to you!

(Lyrics to “Can I Get A…“)

(Photo Credit: The Washington Times)