by Guest Contributor Angry Asian Man, originally published on Angry Asian Man
What the hell is this?
Seriously, what is this? This video, and more like it, can be found on this YouTube channel which is apparently part of CBS’s Mobile programming. And there are twelve more videos in this idiotic “Farnfucious” series. I know it’s just a puppet, but damn.
I cannot believe someone would deem this appropriate material to post as part of a major broadcast network’s online content. I actually originally found them on CBS’ main YouTube channel, but they were taken down pretty quickly.
Does it still count as yellowface when you dress up a white puppet character like an old Asian man? That’s got to be a first. It’s ridiculous. Once again, someone thinks racial caricatures mocking Asians are funny. That’s racist! (Thanks, Andrew.)
About This BlogRacialicious is a blog about the intersection of race and pop culture. Check out our daily updates on the latest celebrity gaffes, our no-holds-barred critique of questionable media representations, and of course, the inevitable
Keanu ReevesJohn Cho newsflashes.
Latoya Peterson (DC) is the Owner and Editor (not the Founder!) of Racialicious, Arturo García (San Diego) is the Managing Editor, Andrea Plaid (NYC) is the Associate Editor. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The founders of Racialicious are Carmen Sognonvi and Jen Chau. They are no longer with the blog. Carmen now runs Urban Martial Arts with her husband and blogs about local business. Jen can still be found at Swirl or on her personal blog. Please do not send them emails here, they are no longer affiliated with this blog.
Comments on this blog are moderated. Please read our comment moderation policy.
Use the "for:racialicious" tag in del.icio.us to send us tips. See here for detailed instructions.
Interested in writing for us? Check out our submissions guidelines.
Follow Us on Twitter!
- The Literary Omnivore on A Few Thoughts On Star Trek: Into Darkness
- Allen Herring on A Few Thoughts On Star Trek: Into Darkness
- nicthommi on The Rise Of Beyoncé, The Fall Of Lauryn Hill: A Tale Of Two Icons
- Kat on Open Thread: The Great Gatsby
- Yakki45 on The Rise Of Beyoncé, The Fall Of Lauryn Hill: A Tale Of Two Icons
- Race + TV: Four Summer Shows From Across The Pond
- A Few Thoughts On Star Trek: Into Darkness
- Quoted: On The Summer Prince, by Alaya Dawn Johnson
- Friday Foolishness: Selena Gomez Is Wearing A Bindi?
- The Rise Of Beyoncé, The Fall Of Lauryn Hill: A Tale Of Two Icons
- Retrolicious–Mad Men 6.7: “Man With A Plan”
- Open Thread: The Great Gatsby
- Scandal Recap 2.22: “White Hats Back On”
TagsABC activism advertising african-american asian asian-american barack obama black blackface celebrities comedy culture diversity fashion feminism film gender glbt HBO hip hop hispanic history hollywood identity international interracial relationships latino media mixed race movies music muslim politics race racial stereotypes racism religion sex sexism sexual stereotypes stereotypes tv Uncategorized white youtube