"The message is always the same: whites save animals. Natives threaten animals, or at the very most provide manual labor for whites in their efforts to save animals. The network is particularly tone-deaf in the matter of Chimp Eden, which is set in South Africa for heaven's sake, and yet the sanctuary staff's racial makeup or history is not considered worth noting. "
"A "holistic" approach is supposed to be one that factored in the obstacles individual students faced — in particular, family poverty and parents' education levels. At UCLA, the parents of Vietnamese-American applicants are on average poorer and less educated than the parents of African-American applicants. But instead of seeing their admission rates go up under the holistic system, Vietnamese kids' rates plunged, from 28.6 percent to 21.4 percent."
"A new study in the journal Social Science Quarterly found that campus racial and ethnic diversity is important in predicting friendship heterogeneity, and that minorities have higher predicted friendship diversity than whites."
About This BlogRacialicious is a blog about the intersection of race and pop culture. Check out our daily updates on the latest celebrity gaffes, our no-holds-barred critique of questionable media representations, and of course, the inevitable
Keanu ReevesJohn Cho newsflashes.
Latoya Peterson (DC) is the Owner and Editor (not the Founder!) of Racialicious, Arturo García (San Diego) is the Managing Editor, Andrea Plaid (NYC) is the Associate Editor. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The founders of Racialicious are Carmen Sognonvi and Jen Chau. They are no longer with the blog. Carmen now runs Urban Martial Arts with her husband and blogs about local business. Jen can still be found at Swirl or on her personal blog. Please do not send them emails here, they are no longer affiliated with this blog.
Comments on this blog are moderated. Please read our comment moderation policy.
Use the "for:racialicious" tag in del.icio.us to send us tips. See here for detailed instructions.
Interested in writing for us? Check out our submissions guidelines.
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Medusa on The Scandal Mid-Season Finale Prediction Thread
- Medusa on Comedian Aamer Rahman Explains “Reverse Racism”
- Marly Pierre-Louis on Race + The Netherlands: Resistance, Lost in Translation
- DovSherman on Comedian Aamer Rahman Explains “Reverse Racism”
- Ellington on Comedian Aamer Rahman Explains “Reverse Racism”
- On Disability and Cartographies of Difference
- A Muslimah’s Guide to Rocking the World
- Quoted: Dr. David Leonard Pens Open Letter to Marissa Alexander
- The Acclaimed Web Series Black Folks Don’t Returns for a Third Season
- Comedian Aamer Rahman Explains “Reverse Racism”
- The Walking Dead Recap: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- The Walking Dead Roundtable 4.7 – “Dead Weight”
- The Scandal Mid-Season Finale Prediction Thread
TagsABC activism advertising african-american asian asian-american barack obama black celebrities comedy diversity fashion feminism film gender glbt HBO hip hop hispanic history hollywood identity interracial relationships Kerry Washington latino media mixed race movies music muslim politics race racial stereotypes racism religion Scandal sex sexism sexual stereotypes stereotypes True Blood tv Uncategorized white youtube