Five Not-Impossible Things Before Breakfast

by Latoya Peterson

As I wrote last week, my inbox was filled with so many tips I didn’t have time to tackle them before the week was out. So, here are a few of the ones we can get done quickly:

Rachel Ray and the Paisely “Islamic Jihad” Scarf

Rachel Ray is wearing a scarf. She is not sending a message for Islamic Jihad!

Will someone please tell that to Dunkin’ Donuts and Michelle Malkin?

Jehanzeb says:

This is nothing but shameless racism. I really hope more people speak out about this because it is not only outrageous, it also reflects the ridiculous amount of paranoia and xenophobia that’s tarnishing our society. Yesterday morning, I heard about Rachael Ray’s new commercial for Dunkin’ Donuts getting pulled because of complaints from the right-wing blogosphere, specifically from the notoriously anti-Islamic and xenophobe Michelle Malkin. What were the complaints about? Well, according to Malkin, the black-and-white colored scarf worn by Rachael Ray in the commercial heavily resembled the keffiyeh, which she defined as the “traditional scarf of Arab men that has come to symbolize murderous Palestinian jihad.”

Are you kidding me? The commercial was yanked because of a black-and-white patterned scarf with paisley designs? The bigots from the right-wing were so offended and worried that Dunkin’ Donuts was “promoting terrorism” or “Palestinian jihad” because their sponsor wore a scarf?

Alisa says:

Two: Where are the stories about how terrifying it is that we live in a country where right-wing nutjobs dictate what TV hosts can and cannot wear in advertisements for donuts?

And

Three: Since when is it okay for us to hate any group of people based upon nationality, religion or scarf preferences? Am I the only one who sees Dunkin Donuts ad-pull as a nod to fascism?

I would say something like boycott Dunkin’ Donuts to protest their stupidity at bowing to the demands of petty wardrobe fascists, but I can’t remember the last time I ate there.

Gawking at the Indigenous in the Amazon

From Yahoo:

Amazon Indians from one of the world’s last uncontacted tribes have been photographed from the air, with striking images released on Thursday showing them painted bright red and brandishing bows and arrows.

Survival International has the scoop on what’s been going down in that region:

A French company is locked in a legal battle with Amazon Indians over its plans to drill for oil in parts of the jungle inhabited by some of the world’s last uncontacted tribes. A hearing is due on 30 May.

The company, Perenco, is working in a remote part of the Peruvian Amazon where at least two uncontacted tribes live. It is believed to be the biggest oil find in Peru in thirty years and the Peruvian president, Alan Garcia, has expressed hopes it will transform the Peruvian economy.

The case has been filed by Peru’s Amazon Indian organisation, AIDESEP. It urges the judge to prohibit Perenco and other companies from working in the region and making contact with uncontacted tribes.

A quick scan of their website reveals articles from all over the globe, based on efforts to preserve the last bits of traditional lands and culture for these groups of indigenous people.

Mena Suvari Gets Cornrows to Play Black Character

Dodai (of Jezebel) says:

The plot is based on a true story — the woman’s name was Chante Mallard, and she hit a homeless man in 2001 after she spent an evening smoking pot, drinking and taking Ecstasy with friends. Her boyfriend later ditched the body in a park. Mallard is now serving a 50-year jail sentence. Mallard, it should be noted, is black. Mena Suvari is not. But she does wear cornrows to play the role of Brandi. [...]

There’s a lack of parts for women in Hollywood altogether — do actresses of color have a chance if white women can just put on some corn rows (or a curly wig) and play “a particular kind of girl from a particular place” ?

Suvari said, “Look, I could put on a bikini and make a lot of money,” she says. “But I’m trying to stimulate myself as an actor.”

Oh really? Somehow, I get the feeling the bikini may have been the smarter choice.

Sharon Stone Learns About Karma

Sharon Stone decided to share some special celebrity understanding on how the world works in Cannes:

“They’re not being nice to the Dalai Lama, who is a friend of mine,” Stone said on camera at the time, discussing the Chinese. “And then all of this earthquake and all this happened and I thought, is that karma? When you’re not nice, that bad things happen to you?”

Disgrasian says:

Although, hmm. There’s just something–and I haven’t quite put my finger on what it is–about nonchalantly attributing a natural disaster that has killed tens of thousands and displaced millions of Chinese citizens… to karma. A massive “punishment” unleashed upon innocent citizens as payback for the decisions being made by their ruling Communist government.

FabSugar says:

Well Sharon, karma’s a bitch and her China Dior ads have been pulled as a result. As well, the house of Dior is distancing itself from the actress, who has since apologized. Her words: “In the course of the interview I made inappropriate remarks and for any harm created towards the Chinese people I am extremely sad and apologize,” Stone said. It is still to be determined if the actress will continue to represent the house.

Stone herself said:

It was only after reviewing the video in her home toward the end of the interview that it seemed to dawn on Ms. Stone why her comments had caused such an uproar. “I had absolutely no intention of saying that, which I did say,” she said, “and now, looking at it on the tape, I look like a complete ding-dong.”

Agreed!

Jake Gyllenhaal to Play Prince of Persia in Movie Adaptation

This is the Prince of Persia (based on the video game art):

This is Jake Gyllenhaal, who was tapped to play him in the movie adaptation of the game:

And here are the Arab American Actors who will not be playing the Price of Persia:

Al Issmail

Philip Shabaz

Jake Yacobi

Haaz Sleiman

Better luck next time, gents! I’m sure the next great role for Arab-Americans is just around the corner! [/sarcasm]

(Thanks to readers Allison, Alexandra, Marge Twain, Jess, Joan, and lfresh for sending in your tips!)