by Laura Martinez, originally published at Mi Blog Es Tu Blog
Finally, somebody has come forward with a sound explanation of why I don’t look like my gorgeous self back in Mexico City like 20 years ago.
A new book by Dr. Manny Alvarez The Hot Latin Diet: The Fast Track Plan to a Bombshell Body, claims to have studied dozens of Latinos who have seen their gorgeous bodies turn into chubby, disgusting flabs as soon as they hit American soil. Excerpt:
“Most families who immigrate from the Caribbean basin and other points of Latin America are fit and trim when they arrive in the United States; however, if you look at this same community three years later, they are usually overweight.”
To help counter such alarming trend, Dr. Manny includes in his book a series of recipes that include some “South American classics,” including avocados, garlic, tomatillos, cilantro, cinnamon and jalapeños…
Wait a second: I grew up eating lots of that stuff and -trust me- I am far from looking like the woman in the blue bikini.
Perhaps Dr. Manny can help further?
About This BlogRacialicious is a blog about the intersection of race and pop culture. Check out our daily updates on the latest celebrity gaffes, our no-holds-barred critique of questionable media representations, and of course, the inevitable
Keanu ReevesJohn Cho newsflashes.
Latoya Peterson (DC) is the Owner and Editor (not the Founder!) of Racialicious, Arturo García (San Diego) is the Managing Editor, Andrea Plaid (NYC) is the Associate Editor. You can email us at email@example.com.
The founders of Racialicious are Carmen Sognonvi and Jen Chau. They are no longer with the blog. Carmen now runs Urban Martial Arts with her husband and blogs about local business. Jen can still be found at Swirl or on her personal blog. Please do not send them emails here, they are no longer affiliated with this blog.
Comments on this blog are moderated. Please read our comment moderation policy.
Use the "for:racialicious" tag in del.icio.us to send us tips. See here for detailed instructions.
Interested in writing for us? Check out our submissions guidelines.
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Miles_Ellison on On Wayne Brady’s Rebuking of Bill Maher
- racialicious on The Rise Of Beyoncé, The Fall Of Lauryn Hill: A Tale Of Two Icons
- Lo11 on The Rise Of Beyoncé, The Fall Of Lauryn Hill: A Tale Of Two Icons
- Kianna on Race + TV: Four Summer Shows From Across The Pond
- Sobia Ali-Faisal on A Few Thoughts On Star Trek: Into Darkness
- Will Best Man Holiday usher in a new golden era of black rom coms?
- Book Excerpt: “Seeing Things” from Godless Americana
- Race + TV: Four Summer Shows From Across The Pond
- A Few Thoughts On Star Trek: Into Darkness
- Quoted: On The Summer Prince, by Alaya Dawn Johnson
- Friday Foolishness: Selena Gomez Is Wearing A Bindi?
- The Rise Of Beyoncé, The Fall Of Lauryn Hill: A Tale Of Two Icons
- Retrolicious–Mad Men 6.7: “Man With A Plan”
TagsABC activism advertising african-american asian asian-american barack obama black blackface celebrities comedy culture diversity fashion feminism film gender glbt HBO hip hop hispanic history hollywood identity international interracial relationships latino media mixed race movies music muslim politics race racial stereotypes racism religion sex sexism sexual stereotypes stereotypes tv Uncategorized white youtube