“What do we gain by consistently characterizing a disabled person’s ability to function “despite” her disability as a “despite” rather than a “with?” What lies behind that need to see a disability as an obstacle rather than a form of human variation?”
“I was totally reminded of Idiocracy when I saw the ad for VH1’s new reality series, I Love Money, which has combined the rejects from Flavor of Love, Rock of Love, and I Love New York, and allowed them to compete for a a $250,000 grand prize.”(tags: realitytv)
“Both Muslims like Khan and Hindus united on Wednesday to help victims of the bomb blasts, offering the use of their mobile phones, and distributing food and fruit juices as relatives swarmed hospitals of Jaipur from the early hours of the morning.”(tags: international)
“A part of me believes that feminist critique and organizations within the sf/f genre exist because women are marginalized within that genre; the romance genre is dominated by women, there is a subconscious attitude that there is nothing to fight[...]“
“[The SNL skit was] hilarious because it called out the Clinton campaign on its not-so-subtle identity politics. Last night, Clinton all but made West Virginia ’08 into Alabama ’64. But what if Hillary’s line is right?”
“I know that most of you are probably thinking, “Why did you decide to endorse Obama, and why are you doing it now?”"
“In it, Hillary, who hit Obama for his association with Jeremiah Wright, defends Obama from McCain’s bogus Hamas-endorsed-Obama attack…” Hmmm…. – LDP
Sweetie? Eww… – LDP
“Any mainstream movie about the Aztecs and Maya is likely to be bad. Aztec Rex (aka Tyrannosaurus Azteca) appears to be a prime example of the genre.”
About This BlogRacialicious is a blog about the intersection of race and pop culture. Check out our daily updates on the latest celebrity gaffes, our no-holds-barred critique of questionable media representations, and of course, the inevitable
Keanu ReevesJohn Cho newsflashes.
Latoya Peterson (DC) is the Owner and Editor (not the Founder!) of Racialicious, Arturo García (San Diego) is the Managing Editor, Andrea Plaid (NYC) is the Associate Editor. You can email us at email@example.com.
The founders of Racialicious are Carmen Sognonvi and Jen Chau. They are no longer with the blog. Carmen now runs Urban Martial Arts with her husband and blogs about local business. Jen can still be found at Swirl or on her personal blog. Please do not send them emails here, they are no longer affiliated with this blog.
Comments on this blog are moderated. Please read our comment moderation policy.
Use the "for:racialicious" tag in del.icio.us to send us tips. See here for detailed instructions.
Interested in writing for us? Check out our submissions guidelines.
Follow Us on Twitter!
- lynn1066 on The Walking Dead Roundtable: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- bridgetarlene on The Walking Dead Roundtable: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- etoiledamore on The Walking Dead Roundtable: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- literatebrit on The Racialicious Links Roundup 12.5.13: Black Twitter, Black Academics, Iran, Chicago and Elan Gale
- Matt Pizzuti on The Walking Dead Roundtable: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- The Walking Dead Roundtable: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- Voices: Nelson Mandela (1918-2013)
- The Racialicious Links Roundup 12.5.13: Black Twitter, Black Academics, Iran, Chicago and Elan Gale
- On Disability and Cartographies of Difference
- A Muslimah’s Guide to Rocking the World
- Quoted: Dr. David Leonard Pens Open Letter to Marissa Alexander
- The Acclaimed Web Series Black Folks Don’t Returns for a Third Season
- Comedian Aamer Rahman Explains “Reverse Racism”
TagsABC activism advertising african-american asian asian-american barack obama black celebrities comedy diversity fashion feminism film gender glbt HBO hip hop hispanic history hollywood identity interracial relationships Kerry Washington latino media mixed race movies music muslim politics race racial stereotypes racism religion Scandal sex sexism sexual stereotypes stereotypes True Blood tv Uncategorized white youtube