by Latoya Peterson
Upon hearing Nas’ newest single on the radio yesterday, my boyfriend was compelled to call the station.
“How is it possible that you all are trying to play a song where you bleep out 75% of the lyrics?”
I took a quick glance at the lyrics online, and thought to myself, damn – maybe the radio is doing us a service.
How else to explain how Nas could go from this:
This rhythmatic explosion, is what your frame of mind has chosen
I’ll leave your brain stimulated, niggaz is frozen
Speak with criminal slang, begin like a violin
End like Leviathan, it’s deep well let me try again
Wisdom be leakin out my grapefruit troop
I dominate break loops, givin mics men-e-straul cycles
Street’s disciple, I rock beats that’s mega trifle
Not mad cause Eminem said Nigger
Cause he’s my Nigger
Wigger, Cracker friend
We all black within
We all African within
Some Africans don’t like us no way
A killing happened in Johannesburg yesterday.
The entry on Too Sense is called “He Must Be on the Pipe.”
Does anyone have any insight they’d like to share? Some unknown gem of knowledge, like Nas is trying to get out of his record deal by recording the most ridiculous/offensive lyrics possible? Someone please tell me there’s a reason behind this madness!
About This BlogRacialicious is a blog about the intersection of race and pop culture. Check out our daily updates on the latest celebrity gaffes, our no-holds-barred critique of questionable media representations, and of course, the inevitable
Keanu ReevesJohn Cho newsflashes.
Latoya Peterson (DC) is the Owner and Editor (not the Founder!) of Racialicious, Arturo García (San Diego) is the Managing Editor, Andrea Plaid (NYC) is the Associate Editor. You can email us at email@example.com.
The founders of Racialicious are Carmen Sognonvi and Jen Chau. They are no longer with the blog. Carmen now runs Urban Martial Arts with her husband and blogs about local business. Jen can still be found at Swirl or on her personal blog. Please do not send them emails here, they are no longer affiliated with this blog.
Comments on this blog are moderated. Please read our comment moderation policy.
Use the "for:racialicious" tag in del.icio.us to send us tips. See here for detailed instructions.
Interested in writing for us? Check out our submissions guidelines.
Follow Us on Twitter!
- aboynamedart on Open Thread: Scandal S03 E09: ‘YOLO’
- Tonya on Race + The Netherlands: Exile
- nicthommi on Race + The Netherlands: Exile
- Derek Vandivere on Race + The Netherlands: Exile
- Delevan on Video: President Obama’s Speech At Nelson Mandela Memorial
- The Racialicious Links Roundup 12.12.13: Nelson Mandela, New York’s Poor, Black Republicans and more
- Race + The Netherlands: Exile
- Please Stop: The Trans Joke at the Spike Video Game Awards
- Video: President Obama’s Speech At Nelson Mandela Memorial
- What names are normal? Shifting the center of the world
- Will Black Woman-Directed Docs Make it to the Oscars?
- Quoted: A South African Muslim Woman’s Memories of Mandela
- Rumour Mill: Casting for the Man of Steel sequel and CW’s The Flash pilot
TagsABC activism advertising african-american asian asian-american barack obama black celebrities comedy diversity fashion feminism film gender glbt HBO hip hop hispanic history hollywood identity interracial relationships Kerry Washington latino media mixed race movies music muslim politics race racial stereotypes racism religion Scandal sex sexism sexual stereotypes stereotypes True Blood tv Uncategorized white youtube