by Latoya Peterson
Upon hearing Nas’ newest single on the radio yesterday, my boyfriend was compelled to call the station.
“How is it possible that you all are trying to play a song where you bleep out 75% of the lyrics?”
I took a quick glance at the lyrics online, and thought to myself, damn – maybe the radio is doing us a service.
How else to explain how Nas could go from this:
This rhythmatic explosion, is what your frame of mind has chosen
I’ll leave your brain stimulated, niggaz is frozen
Speak with criminal slang, begin like a violin
End like Leviathan, it’s deep well let me try again
Wisdom be leakin out my grapefruit troop
I dominate break loops, givin mics men-e-straul cycles
Street’s disciple, I rock beats that’s mega trifle
Not mad cause Eminem said Nigger
Cause he’s my Nigger
Wigger, Cracker friend
We all black within
We all African within
Some Africans don’t like us no way
A killing happened in Johannesburg yesterday.
The entry on Too Sense is called “He Must Be on the Pipe.”
Does anyone have any insight they’d like to share? Some unknown gem of knowledge, like Nas is trying to get out of his record deal by recording the most ridiculous/offensive lyrics possible? Someone please tell me there’s a reason behind this madness!
About This BlogRacialicious is a blog about the intersection of race and pop culture. Check out our daily updates on the latest celebrity gaffes, our no-holds-barred critique of questionable media representations, and of course, the inevitable
Keanu ReevesJohn Cho newsflashes.
Latoya Peterson (DC) is the Owner and Editor (not the Founder!) of Racialicious, Arturo García (San Diego) is the Managing Editor, Andrea Plaid (NYC) is the Associate Editor. You can email us at email@example.com.
The founders of Racialicious are Carmen Sognonvi and Jen Chau. They are no longer with the blog. Carmen now runs Urban Martial Arts with her husband and blogs about local business. Jen can still be found at Swirl or on her personal blog. Please do not send them emails here, they are no longer affiliated with this blog.
Comments on this blog are moderated. Please read our comment moderation policy.
Use the "for:racialicious" tag in del.icio.us to send us tips. See here for detailed instructions.
Interested in writing for us? Check out our submissions guidelines.
Follow Us on Twitter!
- ModernWizard on Casting Call: Lucy, the Mutant Human/Angel Hybrid Who Speaks with an Asian Accent (But is not Asian)
- Lisa on Open Thread: Kanye West and Yeezus
- Elizabeth MB Downs on Casting Call: Lucy, the Mutant Human/Angel Hybrid Who Speaks with an Asian Accent (But is not Asian)
- J. Lee on Casting Call: Lucy, the Mutant Human/Angel Hybrid Who Speaks with an Asian Accent (But is not Asian)
- leelah on Open Thread: Kanye West and Yeezus
- Barack Obama as our first Asian American President?: Part I
- It’s Time to Recognize All Dads on Father’s Day
- Casting Call: Lucy, the Mutant Human/Angel Hybrid Who Speaks with an Asian Accent (But is not Asian)
- Quoted: The problem with “Devious Maids” goes far beyond Hollywood
- Open Thread: Kanye West and Yeezus
- True Blood Recap 6.1: “Who Are You, Really?”
- Racialicious Crush Of The Week: Jose Antonio Vargas’ Documented
- Retrolicious–Mad Men 6.11: “Favors”
TagsABC activism advertising african-american asian asian-american barack obama black blackface celebrities comedy culture diversity fashion feminism film gender glbt HBO hip hop hispanic history hollywood identity international interracial relationships latino media mixed race movies music muslim politics race racial stereotypes racism religion sex sexism sexual stereotypes stereotypes tv Uncategorized white youtube