“Protests against a City Council plan to tear down low-income New Orleans housing turned ugly Thursday, with police using pepper spray and stun guns to clear a crowd angry they weren’t allowed into City Hall for the vote.”
“The patriarchy that we struggle to over-turn is different from the patriarchy of our White female counterparts; but that makes aspects of Asia’s patriarchy no more (and no less) hostile to feminism than the White Man’s patriarchy.”
LOL! “Remember when Romney said he “watched his father march with Dr. King”? Yeah, apparently that didn’t happen…reports of Romney being with Salt-and-Pepa and Heavy D up in the Limousine were also not meant to be taken literally.”
“ABC News has learned that the campaign of Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., has registered the names of two Web sites with the express goal of attacking her chief rival, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill.”
“When women die, we say, she was Muslim, or she was Aboriginal, or she was a sex worker, or she was drunk – we never say she died because in Canada, 1 – 2 women per week are killed by a family member or partner. “
“The author seems to be suggesting that because Camille Cosby, Tonya Lee and Malaak Rock, are of a lighter hue than Michelle Obama, she is more legitimately “black”–an unfair assertion that diminishes black women of fair skin.”
“Members of the Congressional Black Caucus called on Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco to pardon Mychal Bell and five other teenagers known as the “Jena 6.”"(tags: jenasix)
“raising suspicions that Fresh Direct itself called Homeland Security as a way to get the unions out of its warehouse and scare workers, documented and undocumented alike.”
About This BlogRacialicious is a blog about the intersection of race and pop culture. Check out our daily updates on the latest celebrity gaffes, our no-holds-barred critique of questionable media representations, and of course, the inevitable
Keanu ReevesJohn Cho newsflashes.
Latoya Peterson (DC) is the Owner and Editor (not the Founder!) of Racialicious, Arturo García (San Diego) is the Managing Editor, Andrea Plaid (NYC) is the Associate Editor. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The founders of Racialicious are Carmen Sognonvi and Jen Chau. They are no longer with the blog. Carmen now runs Urban Martial Arts with her husband and blogs about local business. Jen can still be found at Swirl or on her personal blog. Please do not send them emails here, they are no longer affiliated with this blog.
Comments on this blog are moderated. Please read our comment moderation policy.
Use the "for:racialicious" tag in del.icio.us to send us tips. See here for detailed instructions.
Interested in writing for us? Check out our submissions guidelines.
Follow Us on Twitter!
- lynn1066 on The Walking Dead Roundtable: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- bridgetarlene on The Walking Dead Roundtable: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- etoiledamore on The Walking Dead Roundtable: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- literatebrit on The Racialicious Links Roundup 12.5.13: Black Twitter, Black Academics, Iran, Chicago and Elan Gale
- Matt Pizzuti on The Walking Dead Roundtable: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- The Walking Dead Roundtable: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- Voices: Nelson Mandela (1918-2013)
- The Racialicious Links Roundup 12.5.13: Black Twitter, Black Academics, Iran, Chicago and Elan Gale
- On Disability and Cartographies of Difference
- A Muslimah’s Guide to Rocking the World
- Quoted: Dr. David Leonard Pens Open Letter to Marissa Alexander
- The Acclaimed Web Series Black Folks Don’t Returns for a Third Season
- Comedian Aamer Rahman Explains “Reverse Racism”
TagsABC activism advertising african-american asian asian-american barack obama black celebrities comedy diversity fashion feminism film gender glbt HBO hip hop hispanic history hollywood identity interracial relationships Kerry Washington latino media mixed race movies music muslim politics race racial stereotypes racism religion Scandal sex sexism sexual stereotypes stereotypes True Blood tv Uncategorized white youtube