“So why the rush to make [Sean] Taylor a thug? Perhaps because that’s how the average American sees young black men—unapologetic thugs hustling and acting out.”
Great write-up from Baratunde about Barack Obama’s appearance at the Apollo.
“in Hip-hop Jewish stereotypes function as something far more complex. They become a symbol of hope, proof that in America even the most hated can succeed.”
“[Jason] Whitlock could give a fuck less about reflecting reality, or even producing good writing. What he cares about most is absolving white people of any responsiblity for racism.”
“Claiming that women in circumsicion cultures uphold the traditions because they want to just rhymes too closely with the good ol’ boys who claimed that their ‘nigras’ were happy as clams until the ‘outside agitators’ and ‘civil rightsers’ got ‘em all con
“Wow. NBC News assembled a panel of 3 men and 2 women to discuss hip hop and black women. The fact that the men outnumber the women is bad enough, until you see *which* women were selected: Superhead and Melyssa Ford. Um what?”
Mr. Carmen wondered aloud this morning if Imus would start his new show by saying “Nappy-headed ho’s! Nappy-headed ho’s! Haha you can’t get me anymore!” I guess instead, Imus found two black sidekicks. “I can’t be racist, my co-hosts are black!”
“A 13-year-old student with whom a middle school teacher is accused of fleeing to create a romantic life in the boy’s native Mexico may be required to stay there. An illegal immigrant while residing in the United States…”
“State Sen. Denny Altes apologized Thursday for writing an e-mail saying Arkansas is overrun with illegal aliens and that “we are being out populated by blacks also.””
About This BlogRacialicious is a blog about the intersection of race and pop culture. Check out our daily updates on the latest celebrity gaffes, our no-holds-barred critique of questionable media representations, and of course, the inevitable
Keanu ReevesJohn Cho newsflashes.
Latoya Peterson (DC) is the Owner and Editor (not the Founder!) of Racialicious, Arturo García (San Diego) is the Managing Editor, Andrea Plaid (NYC) is the Associate Editor. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The founders of Racialicious are Carmen Sognonvi and Jen Chau. They are no longer with the blog. Carmen now runs Urban Martial Arts with her husband and blogs about local business. Jen can still be found at Swirl or on her personal blog. Please do not send them emails here, they are no longer affiliated with this blog.
Comments on this blog are moderated. Please read our comment moderation policy.
Use the "for:racialicious" tag in del.icio.us to send us tips. See here for detailed instructions.
Interested in writing for us? Check out our submissions guidelines.
Follow Us on Twitter!
- lynn1066 on The Walking Dead Roundtable: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- bridgetarlene on The Walking Dead Roundtable: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- etoiledamore on The Walking Dead Roundtable: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- literatebrit on The Racialicious Links Roundup 12.5.13: Black Twitter, Black Academics, Iran, Chicago and Elan Gale
- Matt Pizzuti on The Walking Dead Roundtable: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- The Walking Dead Roundtable: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- Voices: Nelson Mandela (1918-2013)
- The Racialicious Links Roundup 12.5.13: Black Twitter, Black Academics, Iran, Chicago and Elan Gale
- On Disability and Cartographies of Difference
- A Muslimah’s Guide to Rocking the World
- Quoted: Dr. David Leonard Pens Open Letter to Marissa Alexander
- The Acclaimed Web Series Black Folks Don’t Returns for a Third Season
- Comedian Aamer Rahman Explains “Reverse Racism”
TagsABC activism advertising african-american asian asian-american barack obama black celebrities comedy diversity fashion feminism film gender glbt HBO hip hop hispanic history hollywood identity interracial relationships Kerry Washington latino media mixed race movies music muslim politics race racial stereotypes racism religion Scandal sex sexism sexual stereotypes stereotypes True Blood tv Uncategorized white youtube