Thanks Tariq! “Authorities at Tarleton State University said they plan to investigate a Martin Luther King Jr. Day party that mocked black stereotypes by featuring fried chicken, malt liquor and faux gang apparel.”
This is HILARIOUS! “During literally tens of thousands of media interviews over the years, I always have put these black heroes in the glowing light of adulation they so deserve, crediting the black man for the intense soul and spirit that has enriched ou
Hat tip to TheThink. “Britain’s Channel 4 Television, already under fire for broadcasting alleged racism on its top-ranked show, faced further criticism on Tuesday after a contestant on another reality television program made remarks praising slavery and
Hat tip to The Anti-Essentialist Conundrum. “Federal officials said Tuesday they arrested more than 750 illegal immigrants over the past week in the Los Angeles metropolitan area in what they described as one of the biggest such sweeps in U.S. history.”(tags: immigration)
“The spokesperson for the gay-lesbian community in Matamoros, José Ernesto Leal Rodríguez, was found murdered, with 8 stab wounds, in his home, according to the state authorities.”
“A former Mississippi sheriff’s deputy has been charged in the 1964 kidnappings of two black teenagers who were long believed to have been abducted and killed by the Ku Klux Klan, law enforcement officials said Wednesday.”
Hat tip to Harlow’s Monkey. “she says that critics of celebrity adoptions “get me all riled up … I think they can stick it — you can quote me on that,” she says.” Way to gloss over the complexities, Oprah.
““Dutchman,” the poet Amiri Baraka’s controversial 1964 race play…The white person who goes to see this is supposed to leave feeling like a viper sent off to repent…”
About This BlogRacialicious is a blog about the intersection of race and pop culture. Check out our daily updates on the latest celebrity gaffes, our no-holds-barred critique of questionable media representations, and of course, the inevitable
Keanu ReevesJohn Cho newsflashes.
Latoya Peterson (DC) is the Owner and Editor (not the Founder!) of Racialicious, Arturo García (San Diego) is the Managing Editor, Andrea Plaid (NYC) is the Associate Editor. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The founders of Racialicious are Carmen Sognonvi and Jen Chau. They are no longer with the blog. Carmen now runs Urban Martial Arts with her husband and blogs about local business. Jen can still be found at Swirl or on her personal blog. Please do not send them emails here, they are no longer affiliated with this blog.
Comments on this blog are moderated. Please read our comment moderation policy.
Use the "for:racialicious" tag in del.icio.us to send us tips. See here for detailed instructions.
Interested in writing for us? Check out our submissions guidelines.
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Jenna England on Open Thread: Kanye West and Yeezus
- ISpeakMyTruth on Tyler Perry Hates Black Women: 5 Thoughts on The Haves and Have Nots
- ISpeakMyTruth on On That Serena Williams/Steubenville Comment
- SuperBrother on Tyler Perry Hates Black Women: 5 Thoughts on The Haves and Have Nots
- Cece Duvall on Tyler Perry Hates Black Women: 5 Thoughts on The Haves and Have Nots
- The Evolution Of Hula: Traditional, Contemporary, And Hotel
- Table For Two: Man Of Steel
- On That Serena Williams/Steubenville Comment
- Barack Obama as our first Asian American President?: Part I
- It’s Time to Recognize All Dads on Father’s Day
- Casting Call: Lucy, the Mutant Human/Angel Hybrid Who Speaks with an Asian Accent (But is not Asian)
- Quoted: The problem with “Devious Maids” goes far beyond Hollywood
- Open Thread: Kanye West and Yeezus
TagsABC activism advertising african-american asian asian-american barack obama black blackface celebrities comedy culture diversity fashion feminism film gender glbt HBO hip hop hispanic history hollywood identity international interracial relationships latino media mixed race movies music muslim politics race racial stereotypes racism religion sex sexism sexual stereotypes stereotypes tv Uncategorized white youtube