by Carmen Van Kerckhove
I guess Rosie O’Donnell, like Michael Richards, believes she’s not a racist.
First came the non-apology via her blog (for some bizarre reason she blogs in uh, poetry, not prose):
for someone who comes off to be so sensitive and aware of lgbt issues, why did you think it was alright to mock Chinese people and the language on The View (re:danny devito: ching chong …)???
it was not my intent to mock
just to say how odd it is
that danny drunk
was news all over the world
even in china
it was not meant to mock
2) hi rosie,
i thought your impression of the news in china was a little offensive! it’s ok, though, I still love you-
didnt mean it 2 b offensive
in any way
3) Rosie, what made you think it was okay to make fun of the way Chinese people speak?
the joke was about the danny devito drunk news
making headines all over the world
just comedy folks
no intent 2 harm
And even more offensively, her publicist basically dismissed the entire Asian-American community. (For the record, everyone from New York City Councilman John Liu to the Asian-American Journalists Association has spoken out about this.) From People.com:
Cindi Berger, publicist for O’Donnell said, “She’s a comedian in addition to being a talk show co-host. I certainly hope that one day they will be able to grasp her humor.”
Hmmm…. I guess those white kids who pulled their eyes back and sang “ching chong, ching chong” on my first day of class when I was in second grade had the same sophisticated sense of humor as Rosie. Perhaps one day I too, will reach that level of enlightenment.
(Thanks to Geraly and Phil C. for the updates!)
If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS!
About This BlogRacialicious is a blog about the intersection of race and pop culture. Check out our daily updates on the latest celebrity gaffes, our no-holds-barred critique of questionable media representations, and of course, the inevitable
Keanu ReevesJohn Cho newsflashes.
Latoya Peterson (DC) is the Owner and Editor (not the Founder!) of Racialicious, Arturo García (San Diego) is the Managing Editor, Andrea Plaid (NYC) is the Associate Editor. You can email us at email@example.com.
The founders of Racialicious are Carmen Sognonvi and Jen Chau. They are no longer with the blog. Carmen now runs Urban Martial Arts with her husband and blogs about local business. Jen can still be found at Swirl or on her personal blog. Please do not send them emails here, they are no longer affiliated with this blog.
Comments on this blog are moderated. Please read our comment moderation policy.
Use the "for:racialicious" tag in del.icio.us to send us tips. See here for detailed instructions.
Interested in writing for us? Check out our submissions guidelines.
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Shazza on The Racialicious Links Roundup 12.5.13: Black Twitter, Black Academics, Iran, Chicago and Elan Gale
- nicthommi on Comedian Aamer Rahman Explains “Reverse Racism”
- the_miekster on Race + The Netherlands: Resistance, Lost in Translation
- moniyer on Race + The Netherlands: Resistance, Lost in Translation
- Juan Miller on The Racialicious Links Roundup 12.5.13: Black Twitter, Black Academics, Iran, Chicago and Elan Gale
- The Racialicious Links Roundup 12.5.13: Black Twitter, Black Academics, Iran, Chicago and Elan Gale
- On Disability and Cartographies of Difference
- A Muslimah’s Guide to Rocking the World
- Quoted: Dr. David Leonard Pens Open Letter to Marissa Alexander
- The Acclaimed Web Series Black Folks Don’t Returns for a Third Season
- Comedian Aamer Rahman Explains “Reverse Racism”
- The Walking Dead Recap: 4.8 “Too Far Gone”
- The Walking Dead Roundtable 4.7 – “Dead Weight”
TagsABC activism advertising african-american asian asian-american barack obama black celebrities comedy diversity fashion feminism film gender glbt HBO hip hop hispanic history hollywood identity interracial relationships Kerry Washington latino media mixed race movies music muslim politics race racial stereotypes racism religion Scandal sex sexism sexual stereotypes stereotypes True Blood tv Uncategorized white youtube